The Beechwood Estate Located in Cape Vincent, NY, lies on the St. Lawrence River, just one mile from the mouth of Lake Ontario. Over 8 acres in total, the estate boasts 800 feet in shorefront property. It includes the historic mansion, the...
The Beechwood Estate Located in Cape Vincent, NY, lies on the St. Lawrence River, just one mile from the mouth of Lake Ontario. Over 8 acres in total, the estate boasts 800 feet in shorefront property. It includes the historic mansion, the manager’s house (guest house), and a smaller guest cottage. In addition to 3 multi¬car garages, the Beechwood Estate features 2 boathouses. The aristocratic charm and striking scenic views provide a lovely setting for weddings or a bed and breakfast. Built in 1854, the mansion is in the colonial style blended with Greek Revival architectural elements. The facade features a deep, two-story portico which is finely proportioned and supported by four tall, square pillars. It houses approximately 18 rooms with a full walk in basement and attic. There are four full bathrooms and two powder rooms. It has 4 fireplaces and one beehive oven. Within its core are large grand rooms perfect to entertain. With 14 foot ceilings, each of these rooms are accented with chandeliers. With historic preservation in mind, every room has been restored to the aristocratic charm that one would expect for a house with such grace and beauty. Some of the rooms even have original wallpaper. One of the main baths contains the original claw foot baby bath tub. Two of the bathrooms have original tile. Of course, modern conveniences were incorporated. Some of the chandeliers were originally gas and reconverted to electric by the current owners. All bathrooms have updated plumbing. The house has proper insulation and up-to-date wiring. The manager’s house holds three bedrooms, two baths, a full kitchen and an open dining and living room. The open space features exposed beam ceilings and a hand pegged wooden floor. In addition to a laundry room and spa room, this house features an award winning office space. Like the primary mansion house, the manager’s house also has updated wiring and plumbing. Currently used as an exercise room, the original guest cottage was updated with new walls, doors and windows, a gas heater, and a metal shingled roof. The boathouse lodge features wooden floors, a reconditioned door, and storage space for small boats. The lodge provides a lovely space to entertain a number of people or just curl up with a book and watch the river flow. The larger boathouse currently stores a 26 foot wooden Chris Craft and several boats with plenty of room for at least eight smaller boats. The fan windows are from a mansion that was built in the late 1800’s. The massive boat doors were also purchased from the same mansion. Both boat houses feature new roofs. The grounds of the Estate are very well maintained. The arbor supports arctic kiwi and honeysuckle vines. The pond under the arbor offers peaceful meditation as well as a place for small animals to seek a sip of water. The arbor is open to a rose garden and a fenced approximately 40x90 foot vegetable garden. It is currently growing blueberry bushes. The yard beyond houses a rare St. Lawrence red apple tree as well as a Cortland apple tree. The History of Beechwood Estate - The sweeping lawn and the Beechwood estate have a long history as it was established in 1838. There have been a number of changes to the house and its title. It was a part of the holdings of the French noble Vincent LaRay. Beechwood was built by personal friends and supporters of Napoleon. LaRay sold the 10.8 acres to Theophile Peugnet, a personal bodyguard to Napoleon. He in turn deeded the property to French nobility refugees Henry Crevolin and his wife Annette Dumastier. The couple owned several buildings in the small quaint town of Cape Vincent. A number of family members of the Crevolin’s bought and sold the house. For a period of a few years it was owned by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Watertown for use as a school or convent. The Sisters acquired the property on February 4, 1887, but sold on July 8, 1891 to Cornelia A. Fox.
Boat Ramp / Boat Dock
Area Boat Dock
Area Boat Ramp
Attached Garage, 4 Car Garage
Corner Lot, Lake, River, River view, City / Town Street, Wood Siding, Lake On Lot, Enclosed Porch
Google Map Loading...
View real estate listings in these nearby locations
The listing information set forth on this site is based upon information which we consider reliable, but because it has been supplied by third parties to our franchisees (who in turn supplied it to us) , we cannot represent that it is accurate or complete, and it should not be relied upon as such. The offerings are subject to errors, omissions, changes, including price, or withdrawal without notice. All dimensions are approximate and have not been verified by the selling party and cannot be verified by Sotheby's International Realty Affiliates LLC. It is recommended that you hire a professional in the business of determining dimensions, such as an appraiser, architect or civil engineer, to determine such information.